At Dental Group of Tysons, Dr. Joseph Ruzzo and our team are happy to help our patients in McLean, Virginia, and the surrounding communities with all of your oral health care. As we get closer and closer to Thanksgiving, we know that tooth pain is not something you want on the menu!
Unfortunately, if you feel a sharp pain when you bite down on your food, or you chew on one side of your mouth because of pain, you may have a cracked tooth. There are various reasons why teeth can crack or fracture.
- If you chew on hard objects such as ice, hard candy, or hard nuts you can fracture a tooth.
- A blow to the mouth can crack a tooth.
- If tooth enamel is exposed to temperature extremes, your tooth can crack. So if you are eating hot soup, don’t be tempted to sip ice water with it.
- Your teeth can crack if you persistently grind or clench your teeth (also known as bruxism).
- To repair a cracked tooth, Dr. Joseph Ruzzo will first examine the tooth to determine proper treatment. If the tooth has minor cracks, bonding with a tooth-colored composite resin or dental filling may be all that will be needed. However, if the damage is severe, or affecting the tooth pulp, the tooth may require further treatment.
If your tooth needs to be extracted, Dr. Joseph Ruzzo will review tooth replacement options with you to restore your smile. At our dental office, we offer high-quality, natural-looking tooth replacement options, including dental implants, dentures, and dental bridges.
If a cracked tooth is damaging your smile confidence, please don’t delay giving our Dental Group of Tysons team a call at 703-448-3312. Dr. Joseph Ruzzo can restore your tooth so that you can enjoy your Thanksgiving with a smile!